Turkish Stuffed Eggplant (Karnıyarık)
Turkish Stuffed Eggplant (Karnıyarık)Print Pin Rate
Servings: 6 people
- - 4 Long & Selender purple Eggplants (Long, Selender Purple eggplants are perfect for this recipe)
- - 300-350 gr Ground beef or ground lamb
- - 1 Normal size onion finely chopped,
- - 2 or 3 Normal size tomato one of them is sliced into 4 thick slices, rest of them coarsely chopped,
- - 2 or 3 Green fresh Pepper coarsely chopped, one of them is sliced into 2 or 4 thick slices,
- - 2 Tablespoon Tomato paste (one of them is for ground beef mixture, other one is for diluted tomato paste: dish's sauce),
- - 2 Clove garlic minced,
- - 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- - 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black pepper
- - 1/2 Teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- - 1/4 Cup Parsley Chopped,
- - 2 or 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1- First of all, put your all ingredients on the work table. Secondly, wash your all eggplans and then take the stem ends off the your eggplants and strips off with a knife in a skin of zebra pattern (this process will help your eggplants hold their shapes better),
- 2- Then fill a large and deep bowl with water and stir in salt, then add your eggplants. Soak your eggplants for about 20-25 minutes while you are preparing your filling. This process helps that removing bitterness of your eggplants. After these processes, your eggplants are ready to fry.
- 3- Heat one Tablespoon vegetable oil in a large fry pan and add your eggplants. Cover with a lid and fry gently until your eggplants are softened. Then, place your ground beef (or ground lamb meat) in a separate pan and heat gently. Allow ground beef to cook down in its own juice and the meat is nicely browned colour. Then, add vegetable oil, tomato paste, onion, garlic and green peppers. Continue to fry until your ingredients are soft, then add your tomatoes and cook down another 5 minutes. Now add your salt, ground black pepper, red pepper fkakes and parsley, and mix through until all the ingredients are well combined (if your ground beef needs water, add it and stir).
- 4- Then, arrange your eggplants in a large oven tray belly side up. Then, cut a long slit down the length of each eggplant start to filling process; stuff with ground beef (or ground lamb) mixture into the eggplants. And then, garnish with thick slices of tomato or slices of green peppers or both.
- 5- Then put 1/2 cup of water, a tablespoon of tomato paste, a pinch of salt and 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil into a bowl and mix all of them well. Then pour the diluted tomato paste over the eggplants. Then preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake it in the oven for about 35-40 minutes,
- 6- And be sure to serve hot. (Generally, we serve our Turkish Stuffed Eggplants (Karnıyarık) Dish with a plate of pilaf (rice dish) and an ice cold glass of "Turkish Salted Yogurt Drink (Ayran)". Also, it is served with a sesoning salad and with a Turkish Yogurt with Cucumbers and Herbs (Tzatziki/Cacık)