breadvesalt.blogspot.com/2021/03/turkish-style-rice-pudding-sutlac-recipe.html#morePrint Pin Rate
Servings: 6 -8
- 6 Clay pudding cups ramekins or dessert cups, clay ramekins, or disposable aluminum pudding cups,
- 1/2 Cup short grain white rice
- 6,5 Cups whole milk (nearly 1,5 liter),
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Wheat starch or corn starch, also you can use rice flour,
- A handful of roughly chopped Hazelnuts or pisthocous for topping,
- 1- First of all, put your all ingredients on your work surface. Then, rinse your rice until the water runs clear and then in a large saucepan, add your rice and enough water to cover it by about 1,25 cm (nearly 1/2 inch.) and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Let the rice simmer gently until it is softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- 2- Then, add 6 cups milk, the sugar, and vanilla extract to the rice. And bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and let it boil very gently for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix wheatstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup whole milk to make a slurry. While stirring, gradually pour your milk-wheatstarch mixture into the rice and simmer over medium low heat for about 20-25 minutes until your mixture thickens. When the pudding thickens, continue to stir and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- 3- Then, remove it from the heat and fill small, ovenproof clay pudding cups with the hot mixture. Then, place your clay pudding cups with puddings into oven tray and fill the oven tray halfway with water (this is to prevent the rice pudding (sütlaç) from drying and keep it creamy). Then, bake it in the oven at 200°C (nearly 400°F). Bake the rice pudding in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned. Please check constantly to make sure they don't burn.
- 4- Once the rice pudding is cooked, let them cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least three hours before serving.
- 5- Then sprinkle the roughly chopped hazelnuts and serve them after the dinner meals.