Vegan Stuffed Augbergines
Vegan Stuffed AugberginesPrint Pin Rate
Servings: 5 people
- 5 Long & Selender Eggplants (If you can only get the more rounded variety, try to choose some small eggplants),
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil for frying (or 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for roasting in the oven),
For the Tomato Filling:
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Normal size yellow onions finely diced, (if you want, you can use red or white onions),
- 4-5 Large cloves of garlic finely diced,
- 4 Long green peppers finely diced,
- 4 Medium tomatoes roughly choped,
- 1/2 Teaspoon of salt dried oregano, ground black pepper, red flakes pepper and granulated sugar,
- 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley chopped,
For Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 Tomatoes grated,
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tomatoes is sliced into 5 thick slices
- 1- First of all, put your all ingredients on the work table. Secondly, wash your all eggplans and strips off with a knife in a skin of zebra pattern without removing the green stems (this process will help your eggplants hold their shapes better),
- 2- Then fill a large and deep bowl with water and stir in salt, then add your eggplants in it. Soak your eggplants for about 20-25 minutes while you are preparing your filling (Don't forget to place your soaked eggplants on paper towels to drain). This process helps that removing bitterness of your eggplants. After these processes, your eggplants are ready to fry.
- 3- For preparing the tomato filling: Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan. Gently cook the onion and pepper for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Then add the tomatoes and garlic into the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, using a spoon to break up the tomatoes gently. Lastly, add your salt, dried oregano, ground black pepper, red pepper fkakes, sugar and parsley, and mix through until all the ingredients are well combined.
- 4- Then heat your vegetable oil in a large fry pan and add your eggplants. Cover with a lid and fry gently until your eggplants are softened (or heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6. Then brush your eggplants generously with the olive oil. Then place on a rack set over an oven tray and roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender). Then, place your fryed eggplants on paper towels to drain and set aside.
- 5- Then arrange your eggplants in a large oven tray belly side up. Then, cut a long slit down the length of each eggplant and then start to filling process; stuff with tomato filling into the eggplants.
- 6- For preparing tomato sauce: Put 1/2 cup of water, a tablespoon of tomato paste, grated tomatoes, a pinch of salt and 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into a bowl and mix all of them well. Then pour the diluted tomato paste over the eggplants. Then preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake it in the oven for about 35-40 minutes,
- 7- Garnish with thick slices of tomato and serve warm or at room temperature.