- - 4 Sheets store bought puff pastry dough or
For Handmade Dough:
- - 4 - 5 Cups of flour
- - 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder (nearly 5 gr),
- - 2 Eggs yolk (we used egg's white for the filing),
- - 1 Teaspoon Yogurt
- - 1/2 Cup of water and olive oil (if you want, you can use sunflower oil instead of the olive oil),
- - 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- - 1/2 Tablespoon Mineral water
- - 1 pinch of salt
- - A handful of corn starch
For Filling (Stuffing):
- 1 Cup walnuts coarsely chopped, (or pounded in the mortar),
- 1 Teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Egg white (we used eggs yolk for the desert dough),
For Sherbet (syrup):
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 1 or 2 Teaspoons lemon's juice
- A handful of pistachios coarsely chopped, (or pounded in the mortar),
- 1- First of all, put your all ingredients on your work surface. Then, start with the sherbet (syrup). Put the sugar and the water in a saucepan. Then mix them to dissolve while on the stove to boil. Once the sugar is dissolved, mix only once in a while. When the water comes to boil, add the lemon's juice and lower the heat to simmer. After 10 minutes remove it from heat and set aside to cool.
- 2- For filling (Stuffing); Coarsely chop your walnuts or use a mortar and pestle for the nuts. Please watch out! Do not turn your walnuts into a powder. Then, in a bowl; mix egg white, sugar, walnuts and cinnamon well and set aside. Also coarsely chop your pistachios or use a mortar and pestle for it. Do not turn your pistachios into a powder and then set it aside.
- 3- If you use store-bought puff pastry; bring the puff pastry to room temperature. For handmade dough; in a large and deep mixing bowl put the all dough materials (Flour, mixture of lukewarm water and olive oil, yogurt, eggs yolk, baking powder, mineral water and lemon juice) and mix them very well. Then, knead the dough until it turns to smooth and elastic, then, cover with a clean damp towel and let it rest for a while (it takes 30 minutes).
- 4- Then give a small ball shape. 4 or 5 small ball shape pieces are prepared from this dough. After these processes, now we need to flatten and thinned dough shape, first, sprinkle corn starch over it and then flatten the balls with your hands and roll in a rectangular shape (or oval shape) and thinned with the help of roller pin. Generally samsa's dough sheets are thicker than the baklava's dough sheets. (If you use store-bought puff pastry, roll out to flat the puff pastry sheets with a rolling pin too).
- 5- Then place your first rectangular sheet on the work surface (if your dough sheets are too big, cut rectangular stripes about 5 or 6 cm x 20 or 25 cm size). Then put enough filling mixture in the longer side and roll till the end. And repeat the same process for rest of the sheets. Then, with the knife cut it into small rectangular shapes. Then place an oven paper in the oven tray and place your desserts on an oven dish with the joining part facing downwards.
- 6- Then bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (356°F) for about 20-25 minutes, until the top and bottom is golden. Then transfer to your desserts another tray and pour the cooled syrup all over the pieces, let rest for about 2 or 2,5 hours.
- 7- When serving, place a 1/2 teaspoon of chopped pistachios on each piece's topping and serve.