Green beans in olive oil dishPrint Pin Rate
- 1 kg Fresh green beans washed, trimmed and cut into approximately 2 or 3 pieces, (cut the ends off and simply pull the 'string' away from the seam. If you use frozen green beans or canned green beans, you don't need to trimmed) (Turkish green beans are better for this dish, but Italian broad beans, or French beans are similar to those in Turkey),
- 1 Big onion finely chopped,
- 2 or 3 Cloves of garlic sliced or chopped or grated,
- 2 Big and large fresh tomatoes one of them peeled and finely chopped or grated or blended, and cut the other one into halves, (if you want, you can use canned vine-ripened tomatoes),
- 1 or 2 Cubes of sugar
- A pinch of salt ground black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste,
- 1 Cup water
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (For drizzling on top),
- 1- First of all, put your all ingredients on your work surface. And, you should clean the all green beans. So, take your fresh green beans, wash and trim them (we mean that; trim the beans and snap the tails. Cut the beans into 2 or 3, depending on their length or cut into beans nearly 2,5-3 cm pieces / 1 to 1,5 inch pieces).
- 2- Then put the chopped, tomatoes, onions, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, cubes of sugar, water, salt, ground black pepper and red pepper flakes into plastic bowl and mix all of them well. Now your tomato sauce is ready and put it aside.
- 3- Then, take a deep and large pot and put the 2 pieces of your tomatoes in the middle of the pot. Then place your green beans around of the tomatoes into the pot. This will be the first level of the dish.
- 4- Then, secondly pour your tomatoes, onions and olive oil mixture over the green beans. Tomatoes, onions and olive oil mixture should cover the green beans. This will be the second level of your dish.
- 5- Lastly place your rest of the green beans around of the tomatoes (2 pieces of tomatoes that staying in the middle of the pot) into the pot. This will be the third level of your dish. Now your dish is ready to cook.
- 6- Then cover the pot and cook with low heat until the beans are soft (beans are cooked for a long time, so that cook them until they are completely soft). This process approximately takes 45-50 minutes (If your beans are old, you may have to cook them up to 1 1/2 hours).
- 7- Then turn the heat off and remove it from the heat and let rest for at least 10 minutes (Never transfer an olive oil dish from its pot until it gets to room temperature). This dish is often served cold in the summer, and warm in the winter months. Drizzle some olive oil over the beans before serving.
- 8- This dish goes well with to grilled chicken, meat or fish. Also many vegetarian friends of us said that "this dish goes well with the plant-based yogurt and Turkish rice pilaf".
Article Categories:Side Dishes